[pp.int.general] Fwd: [SPICY IP] The Death of Safe Harbour for Intermediaries in India for Copyrigh...

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:15:39 CEST 2011

On 08.08.2011 02:28, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Could you tell us what decision was made?

Super Cassettes, an Indian copyright holder, accused Myspace of
infringing activities. The court found that MySpace could not defend
itself from the accusations merely by citing they take
"post-infringement" measures (DMCA-style - notice-and-take-down). That
means intermediaries can be liable for an infringement unless they
prevent it (to my best of understanding), which also sets India apart
from the EU.

I can't see an Indian verdict having an impact on the American or
British copyright systems. In Germany, a court recently (earlier this
year) settled that post-infringement measures taken by RapidShare
(notice-and-takedown on specific works, even) were adequate. The same
situation or verdict is thus not likely to appear in Europe - for a while.

/a