[pp.int.general] USPP Status

Ray Jenson ray.jenson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:48:35 CEST 2011

Thank you, Antonio, for your thoughtful reply.

There are two things we need for the PP to work: dedicated volunteers who
aren't afraid of the labels which others will place on them for helping this
effort, and money to fund our marketing and other operations. The USA is a
big place, and so lots more money would be needed; but the fact of money
being needed at all is due to the large amount of capital used for
opposition.

I calculated (just from what I could see) that running one newspaper article
costs them about US$180 000 to distribute. So far, that put their tally in
the past 5 years at around $180 million (assuming that is correct--about
1000 articles over the past 5 years through Murdoch's various mass-media
press outlets). The price to combat it with truth and facts on our side is
less than 1% of their costs, but that still put it at almost US$2 million
over the past 5 years. That's US$500 000 per year.

These articles are various articles about the copyright regime's benefit to
others, or how their poor profit margins are wasting away to nothing (only
US$2 billion in profits instead of US$6 billion), or how awful it is that
the US Department of Justice never gets involved in this act which costs
lives... and other such propaganda which serves only to strengthen the
perception that copyright should reign supreme over the lives of citizens.

But raising that kind of money is a serious problem: many of us are still
tempted by large amounts of money, addicted to the almighty currency note,
and none of us really has independent wealth to front such a bill.