[pp.int.general] A Pirate Ideology

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:43:08 CET 2011

I think that the idea that knowledge is power, and therefore if we
want something approximating equality of power, then we must have
equality of knowledge, is one that most pirates would agree with.

I suspect that there is also broad agreement that liquid democracy is,
on the whole, a good idea.

Other that that, I expect that the way pirate ideology will develop is
that various pirate partiesd will expend their policies -- either
gradually or quickly -- and out of that process we'll find out that
pirates (defined as people attracyted to our core issues such as
copyright law etc) also have a lot more in common.

When the various pirate parties have large manifestoes they will also
copy each others ideas, and thus in a natural from-below way a set of
policies will emerge that different pirate parties agree on (of
course, we won't agree on everything, and that's OK). From that set of
policies, an underlying ideology will emerge.

That's not to say that it's pointless for you or Rick falkvinge or any
other Pirate to talk about or formulate ideologies; doing so is useful
because it give us an opportunity to reflect upon what we are, and can
lead us to propose particular policies,

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>