[pp.int.general] A Pirate Ideology

Antonio Garcia ningunotro at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 28 01:08:07 CET 2011

I believe the Pirate Ideology has been clear to all right from the start, and that limiting its public scope to the few subjects those who came together mastered most was just a defensive move both to focus on what eveybody most agreed with, and also to have a "natural" barrier against the early incorporation of too many people with too different views on too many subjects, something that would have rendered the initiative soon unmanageable.

Sort of what is actually happening to the 15M-Indignados / Indignées / Occupy Wall Street / Occupy X movement... They started in Spain with a consensus around 4 points, but as too soon too many people with only a poor general background joined, it all went inevitably wrong. Everybody pushed to have his favourite subject on the consensus list, and the more it grew, the more consensus was rendered impossible. All they can do now, unless someone intervenes to set things straight, is to turn around in circles until everybody gives up sooner or later.

It also shows what the perils of liquid democracy are. While it is a perfect tool for a world with perfect people, we are far from achieving a perfect world. Representative democracy got abused, but horizontal asamblearism has structural prerequisites too, and can be as abused as any other tool.

Only knowing each other can we get to trust each other more. At this moment, some push for more knowledge, and some, knowing what is at stake for them (the lost of present advantages) push for concealment of their past.