[pp.int.general] PPI GA Prague / Video Conference System for remote delegates

Wolfgang Preiss w.preiss at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 08:59:28 CET 2011

Am 28.12.2011 04:54, schrieb Richard Stallman:
> Don't some Pirate Parties oppose the use of data formats that restrict
> users or impose proprietary technology?  A principled organization
> needs to avoid using the methods it campaigns to put an end to.
>
> What alternative is there?  The most obvious alternative is -- no
> streaming.  Make recordings, and post them later in Ogg formats or
> Webm.  Chat using IRC.  All this is easy to do.  So don't I have not
> offered you an alternative.
We had this discussion already one year ago, I am a proud owner of the
certificate "Bashed by Stallman"

I am surprized what methods you are suggesting - "do it my way or don't
do it at all" - and that is not what I am doing. I am working on a
system that tries to suit most people, even you. So I already explained,
that you can follow the stream (we are not talking of the video
conference system yet) using vlc and the rtsp stream option, without the
need to use proprietary technology on your own machine. But I guess that
is not enough for you. There must not be any other alternative than ogg,
there must not be a support for flash uers, users who have no idea about
free software, and just use a computer "out of the box" as they get it
in the store, equipped with the lates windows version. However this goes
against my personal idea of political transparancy.

This means to lower the burden to gain information to the lowest
possible. And this leads to provide a system which is usuable for anyone
who owns an internet connection and a computer.
If your principals do not allow to watch the stream (I have no idea it
there is a free player supporting RTSP) I guess you have to wait until
someone takes the recording, converts it to ogg and supports it on a FTP
system which only runs with free software.

Once again: Livestreaming and video conference system are 2 different
things.

Oh I am also using thunderbird. Do your principals allow to even read
this message? - and yes this question is meant seriously.

Wolfgang