[pp.int.general] PPI GA Prague / Video Conference System for remote delegates

Pat Maechler aka Valio pirate at valio.ch
Thu Dec 29 23:45:56 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    You can watch all my streams using VLC - there is no need to watch it
>    with the website flash player.
>
> What about other aspects of the system?  Others have presented the
> goal of making it possible for everyone to participate.  The other
> aspects should also allow the user to use free software.

Just to shed light on that question: There will be no system that aims
at allowing everyone to participate directly (you can participate
indirectly by tweeting, etc.).
There's a very good reason for it, everyone should understand: PPI is
all about unifying *all* the different pirate parties, which have all
their own perspective and are not one. if we would allow everyone to
participate we would had to implement a system that restricts the
members to take more than a certain degree of participation (speaking
time, number of proposals and of course votes).  if there would be no
restriction (either in number of official delegates or in the degree
of participation) we may end up in a situation where it's more about
unifying the pirate parties which provide the most members (that are
willing to come). consider that PP-SE and PP-DE each would come with
25 official delegates (I doubt that they would) and the rest with 1 or
2 official delegate and there would be no system that prevents them
exceeding a certain amount of participation. of course there can be
still 24 inofficial delegates for SE and DE which socialize and thus
gain a broader, but at least in the official part we can hold more to
the ideal of 1 country, 1 delegate, giving each member a voice. and
even if there's only 1 official delegate which speaks on behalf of
Germany, it's clear to each intelligent person that the words may
should be considered different than if an official delegate speaks
from a member which does currently consists out of less than 100
people.

-pat