[pp.int.general] Lobbying EgyptSat To Provide Free Internet Services For Egyptians

Kenneth Peiruza kenneth at contralaguerra.org
Fri Feb 4 02:46:36 CET 2011

Hi folks,

About satellite communications, some points:

Last year I asked a friend about sat-com because everyone at Bangkok's
hackerspace went nuts with the (buggy) filtering proxy of Thai's government.

I have a friend who is an amazing telecom expert, running a satellite
communication's firm in EMEA, so I asked him about rates and latency.

In short:

1000 US$ / mbps / month
Equipment: btw 1200 and 2000 US$
Link Latency 500 ms (all geosynchronous satellites have this delay)
Emitter dish considerably bigger that a simple Sat-TV receiver (AFAIR
2,5M diameter)

IMHO discouraging. If you want it anyway, I can put you in touch with him.

Regards,

Kenneth