[pp.int.general] Amendment proposals

Brendan Molloy brendanmolloy at pirateparty.org.au
Fri Feb 18 00:47:29 CET 2011

I'd just like to ask under what authority you are proposing such amendments.
Are you proposing them as a proxy through a member of PPI? Because as far as
I understand, no American Pirate Party is a member of PPI, and unless my
understand of organisations in general is unclear, non-members of an
organisation can't propose amendments to their statutes.

No USA here: http://int.piratenpartei.de/Members_of_the_PPI
No American representative's signature on the statutes here:
http://int.piratenpartei.de/wiki/images/a/a6/Statutes_of_the_Pirate_Parties_International.pdf

That said, there's nothing wrong with most of what you're proposing, it's
just a shame that you couldn't propose them as a member of PPI.

On 18 February 2011 07:36, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize that, under the strict interpretation of the statutes of PPI,
> the deadline for this was Saturday, but since the INTENT was that
> amendments be known in advance, so we don't have the farce of them being
> presented for the first time AT the event (like last time), and this
> more than fulfills that. Also, the actual letters of the statutes have
> not exactly been followed with any sort of dogged determination (and
> besides, I'm sure most people aren't even aware of what the proposed
> amendments are -
>
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/pp-international.net/ccc?key=0AnZcn8ossPs2dHBPTVp5UVh1R21EZ2RsN3Z3VVJfMnc&hl=en&ndplr=1#gid=0
> so far
>
> Ok, amendments. (the * marks some commentary and reasons for it)
>
> To section IX,
> - -modify
> (4) Member Organizations are represented at any meeting of the
> General Assembly by a delegate or delegates not exceeding two from
> any one Member Organization.
> *This is changed from six to two. Six gives extraordinary weight to
> parties local to the event's location (especially those representing the
> host country), who can steer the actions to methods more preferential to
> them, rather than to the organisation and movement as a whole. An
> international body should represent the whole membership, not be biased
> by the local groups.
>
> add
> (8) The location of the General shall be held in preference in a country
> that has not hosted before. In addition, no more that two consecutive
> General Assembly's may be held on the same continent.
> * This codifies what has been the general rule for these events back to
> 2007, when the first one was held. The second part also ensures that it
> does NOT remain held in Europe, or indeed any other continent should
> another regional group control the board. In other words, it reaffirms
> the internationalism of a group that deems itself 'international'.
>
> To Section XII
> - -add to end
> (1) To that end, any and all positions in member organizations (except
> for that of 'ordinary member') must be terminated before taking office
> * This is just plain self-evident. An officer of PPI can not represent
> PPI _and_ a member party. The potential for conflicts of interest are
> too high. (for a real life example, look at Ban Ki-Moon, who resigned
> his post in the South Korean Govt. after being elected UN Sectary General.
>
> - -modify
> (7) The meetings are public unless one third of the members of the
> Board vote in favor of a non-public meeting. The decision to hold a
> secret meeting must be motivated. Minutes of public meetings have
> to be published, in written form, not less than two weeks after the
> meeting. The Board has to inform the General Assembly on its next
> meeting on the fact of non-public meetings.
> [...]

Regards,
Brendan Molloy
Pirate Party Australia

M: +61 434 069 776