[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Sina Amoor Pour sina.amoorpour at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 23:23:10 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Erik Lönroth <erik.lonroth a gmail.com>wrote:

> Has there been any attempt in designing a proposal for a "patent
> system(s)" similar to GPL or like.

Yes there has. The BiOS initiative by the NGO Cambia aims at open source
biology similar to free and open licenses for software.

>From their website:

"We create and share new biological enabling technologies and platforms that
can be used to deliver innovations. We develop new  licensing and
distributive collaboration mechanisms that have resonance with the open
source software movement, but are tailored for biological innovation."

http://www.bios.net/daisy/bios/home.html

Their Labs "department" has already developed technologies and put them
under free/open source BiOS licenses:

http://www.cambia.org/daisy/cambialabs/3186.html

I'm actually very interested in questions regarding patents and their more
development friendly alternatives, specially in the biotech and drug
development industries.