[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Pat Maechler aka Valio pirate at valio.ch
Sun Feb 27 12:06:56 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    Yes, there is no definition of "derivative work" in patents.
>    But AFAIR at least in Europe as patent owner you're free to ask those
>    that want to license your patent under whatever condition you want
>
> Yes, the patent holder can make conditions, such as "license your patents
> to our pool".  However, that only applies to activities that are covered
> by your patent, not to variants it might have suggested.  Also, this can
> be defeated by selling the patent to a separate troll organization.

It depends what you define as "variant".
Of course there is a difference depending whether the new idea builds
on the original patent (=the inventor has to use your patent) or if
it's just a similar idea that does not use the original patent.

>   (as long as there is no forced licensing).
>
> I don't understand the part in parentheses.

Bad English, had to look up the correct term ;-)
I meant "as long as there's no compulsory licensing"