[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Feb 27 00:57:56 CET 2011

    Yes, there is no definition of "derivative work" in patents.
    But AFAIR at least in Europe as patent owner you're free to ask those
    that want to license your patent under whatever condition you want

Yes, the patent holder can make conditions, such as "license your patents
to our pool".  However, that only applies to activities that are covered
by your patent, not to variants it might have suggested.  Also, this can
be defeated by selling the patent to a separate troll organization.

   (as long as there is no forced licensing).

I don't understand the part in parentheses.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation