[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Mon Feb 28 11:45:26 CET 2011

The main difference between copyleft and patent-left is the difference in
costs. Getting and keeping a patent consts more than a hundred thousand
dollars (or euros), whereas placing a copyleft license on software costs
nothing. Therefore it will not be economically feasible to create a GPL
like patent pool (unless you can convince a billionaire to put a large
swath of money into it).

-Mikko