[pp.int.general] Agora Voting System for a Liquid Democracy at FOSDEM

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:53:53 CET 2011

Hi Kenneth,
> In fact, most times the party makes the decision and all their MPs act
> as dumb voting-robots, and it's really hard to get a really free vote in
> our parliament. They name it "party discipline", and it's how it works
> here, at least 99% of times.
Unfortunately, it does work exactly the same way in Germany,
Constitution notwithstanding, and you can't legally do anything against
it as of course there is no immediate punishment for someone who votes
out of line - it's just that he or she will probably find themselves at
the very bottom of their party list at the next elections... So the
ruling has more of a symbolic nature, but for me it's a symbol which
should be upheld, not deliberately destroyed.
I think we'll be having a couple of nice fights in the German PP when we
finally get seats in Parliament as to whether we should adhere more to
the constitution&notion of "free vote" or to our promise to represent
the people as closely as possible:)

Best regards,
Boris