[pp.int.general] Agora Voting System for a Liquid Democracy at FOSDEM

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:59:39 CET 2011

Hi Eduardo,
> The statutes of PDI dictate that this is they way their
> representatives will vote. If a MEP doesn't obbey the party's
> statutes, it will be sanctioned correspondingly.
OK, now I must correct my own statement to Kenneth earlier that the
German ruling is purely symbolic: it has at least the effect that a
statutes regulation like this would be illegal (which i find good). The
Berlin division (staunch supporters of LD) brought something like that
into their statutes, but they had to veil it like "it is strongly
recommended that LD results be considered...":)

> So no, the voting system PDI propossed is not direct democracy, but
> liquid democracy. You can either delegate your vote, or vote directly.
OK, true:) However, its second step (the transferring of votes from the
system to MPs) is still pure proxy voting - you could replace MPs with
robots and nothing qould change.

Best regards,
Boris