[pp.int.general] Agora Voting System for a Liquid Democracy at FOSDEM

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 00:37:21 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Jay Emerson <jemers2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I have 24 alerts on this I'll give my two cents on e-voting:
>
> The problems are accountability and accuracy.  With the ability to hack or
> make false accounts to get the determined outcome somebody would want that
> isn't what the majority voted for, I'd say that this shouldn't be adopted
> for extremely important matters, and even the non-important ones can cause
> hell later on.
>
> Trolls alone can sway an entire party by camping out in the parties main
> line of chatting and because you don't wish to deny free speech yet couldn't
> possibly stake out an IRC 24/7 to counter a Trolls claims with facts, you'll
> drive yourself and your party nuts in the process.
>
> Then again I don't have an alternative to offer so the choice is yours :-/
>
> Jay Emerson
> Administrative Officer
> Pirate Party of New York

Well that one is easy: we have electronic identification cards in
Spain. With them we can authenticate the voters, that they are spanish
and of legal age. The encrypted votes will be signed with voters'
DNI-e signature.

One of the things I'm learning here is that people have lots of
questions. I think I might reserve half of my lighting talk for that.

Regards,
   Eduardo.