[pp.int.general] Invitation to the PPI General Assembly 2011

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 01:24:07 CET 2011

On 1/19/2011 6:43 PM, Boris Turovskiy wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> How do I know you're not organizing it? Because you yourself said so,
>> when you sent out a request for bids for it. If you're organising it,
>> YOU are organising it, you're not asking anyone else to give you
>> suggestions for organising it.
> You know what democratic organization is, don't you? Hint: it's NOT when
> the Big Chief says "it will be done so-and-so, no discussions allowed":)
> Besides, your idea of what "organizing a conference" means is rather
> strange. Would you accuse the board of "not organizing anything" if they
> were to not personally carry the chairs to and from the conference hall,
> but rely on outside help for that job?

Really? So at what point is this a democratic organisation anyway? The
general assembly elects the officers, and... Well, thats the limit of
their power for a year, unless something REALLY bad happens that will
cause an extraordinary meeting (needs 2/3s of all parties). And that
meeting will have to be at least 5 weeks later, and then, and ONLY then,
could the issue be dealt with. The GA is a rubber stamp for the Board.

>> We also won't mention (too much) how, despite supposedly being separate
>> from any national party, you've been actively working for the German
>> party.
> It would be rather difficult to find someone both willing and with
> enough support to take up a leading position in the PPI who is NOT an
> active member of some national Pirate Party, now wouldn't it?
> I also point out to the fact that there are many Pirates around the
> world, but not yet as many as to have the luxury of affording strict
> separation of offices (whether that should be aspired is another
> question, mind you).

Actually, when I took over PPI, the first thing I did was resign my post
as USPP chairman. The point is, if you're supposed to prepresenting the
international body, you can't also be officially representing a national
or state body as well. That's called 'a conflict of interests'. There is
a difference between an active member of a national party, and 'an
officer of a national party'. I mean, it's not like there's not already
a place in the PPI structure for officers of national parties - it's
called the General Assembly.

Imagine if the secretary general of the UN was also the US Secretary of
Defense, or the president of the EU was also the German Chancellor. It
doesn't happen. One position, or the other.

> One last point on your accusations that the conference location was
> chosen so that it be comfortable for our co-chairmen: Could you please
> demonstrate what kind of benefits anyone would reap from such a choice?
> The local Pirates who are in the middle of a gruelling election campaign
> and now have to find funds&handle the local organization? Or will you
> invent some benefits that one or another candidate could gain, despite
> the fact that remote participation is possible and the number of votes
> is equal for each member party?

remote participation is, frankly, flaky, doesn't work well, is hard to
participate with well, and gives an extremely narrow viewpoint (in that
we can only communicate with the conference as a whole when we are
allowed to, and see what the camera is pointing at, hear what the
microphone picks up.

In fact, if remote participation is so acceptable, why isn't the whole
conference just run virtually? It would save a lot of costs for
everyone. Answer, because there is a distinct benefit to a face-to-face
meeting.

> To sum it up: your criticism is not unfounded on many occasions, but the
> way you bitch around and try really every way to insult other Pirates
> is, to use your words, just sickening.

i'm not insulting other parties (in fact, I don't think I mentioned any
national party, except the German party, and then only in reference to
Gregory being an officer in it). I'm just stating the facts as I see
them, with all the evidence available.

It's also telling that they've never responded to any of the claims I've
made about their actions by revealing more evidence that has proved my
claims wrong. Instead it's "you're trolling" "you're wrong" or 'Andrew
said/did %lie%'

> But have no hopes, you won't demoralize anyone - at least in the German
> Pirate Party all officers are used to the fact that if they do too
> little, they get bashed for doing nothing, if they do too much, they get
> bashed for doing it wrong, and on Saturdays and Wednesdays they get
> bashed just for the hell of it.

While the first applies, it's not stopped applying for the second and
third reasons to even become applicable.