[pp.int.general] Invitation to the PPI General Assembly 2011

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 03:18:23 CET 2011

Hi Andrew,

> Personally, I believe the specifics
> (http://int.piratenpartei.de/Conference-offers#Place) of what was
> requested, plus having to make such a detailed proposal, for what was
> effectively a closed vote of 4 people, resulted in what might be
> considered a lot of work, for not a lot of payoff.
I disagree on this one. It's the standard way for a location tender,
that you have to provide sufficient detail for the decision-making body
to make an informed decision - and as it's a tender you always run the
risk you're not going to win. Ce la vie.
The fact that the Board effectively consisted of 4 members was, by the
way, not a fault of Gregory whom you so vigorously attack, as he is
among the Board members who attends all meetings.

> They wanted facilities for 150 people, when no event has topped maybe 50
> people (including the event where most of the people where financially
> recompensed).
The last event was ~50 people, with guests being specifically not
invited (a fact which was criticized heavily, and rightly so). Now that
we have max. 6 delegates per member + applicants + guests, 100-150
(that's what was stetd in the offer) is a reasonable requirement.

> The cost for the conference is, according to the bid, over 4,600
> Euros. Not many parties can afford that
> (and that's a fairly low cost estimate too, from experience), and the
> Swedes don't seem that interested in PPI, leaving only the Germans.
Now that's the point which astonishes me personally most, I thought
Osnabrueck was a no-brainer, with mostly the same offers for 1/5 of the
cost and a budget planning that would not require any entrance fee at
all. Actually, 4600€ for a conference with these specifications is so
far through the roof that I didn't at first believe Friedrichshafen was
selected - were it a proposal for one of our State Assemblies of similar
size, there's no way it would be seriously considered.
I think the Board will be in for some serious questioning on that
decision at the conference.

Best regards,
Boris