[pp.int.general] Is this time of the year: IFPI Digital Music Report

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 21:29:51 CET 2011

On 1/21/2011 3:14 PM, Jhessica Reia wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> My research group needs some raw data from Nielsen, and it has been
> impossible to get them. Or the cost is so insane, or they just don't
> publicize the data. People keep telling us to try through other
> institutions or contacts at government, etc. But even this way, is not
> easy to get the analysed data - imagine the source of it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. "Imagine the source",
which they did, and then they imagined the data that would come FROM
that source.

releasing the source data, data collection parameters, and their
methodology is something I've hit on with every analysis of these sorts
of reports, and I'm not alone. In 2005, the head of the British Video
Association made a similar claim about the MPAA and their famous LEK
study (bceause the BVA published a study at the same time, and a figure
for part of a loss in one study, was bigger than the whole loss in the
other, by about 10% (http://piracyisnotacrime.com/stats-vat.php)

fun and games, fun and games...