[pp.int.general] Agora Voting System for a Liquid Democracy at FOSDEM

Daniel Riaño danielrr2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 13:17:07 CET 2011

Use of DNI is generalized in Spain's society in such a way that is difficult
to comprehend for a foreigner. Most adults know this number (that includes a
verification letter) by hart. You use it almost daily, and almost always in
your written communications with the administration at almost any level,
with banks, and in most important transactions. To give you an example, if
you use a credit card, the sales person won't even take a look at your
signature: he/ she will ask you to show your DNI (your passport if you are
foreigner). That makes sense in a country where not all sales persons have
formal training in calligraphy. Many people see this as a more secure
procedure for costumers. Even more: in Spain, in the space of your credit
card where a space has been reserved for the user's signature, many people
have stamped, in lieu of his signature, the following message "ask for DNI."

Daniel