[pp.int.general] Paying Creators! ISPs Seem to Have Lost Net Neutrality?

Josef Ohlsson Collentine josef at collentine.com
Thu Jul 21 16:10:15 CEST 2011

Time to bring net neutrality up again. ISPs have recently been considered
responsible for what their customers do. "Don't blame the messenger" doesn't
seem to apply anymore. What happened to 'Mere conduit'?

Netherlands is showing the way with their recent support for Net Neutrality
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13886440 In Italy they are moving in
the opposite way with suppressing free speech with their "Internet kill
act". Seems it's very hard for ISPs to stay neutral in this fight and I like
that some take an active stance for supporting creativity and projects by
the help of a system like Flattr.
http://blog.flattr.net/2011/06/flattr-teams-up-with-a-major-broadband-provider-in-sweden/

I wrote a lot more about  the current situation for ISPs and net neutrality
here:
http://collentine.com/paying-creators-isps-seem-to-have-lost-net-neutrality

Should we try to keep ISPs neutral or make them take an opposite stance to
what the lobbyists now are trying to do with them?

/josef