[pp.int.general] Fwd: [FC-discuss] Fwd: Urgent -- Aaron was just arrested

Pat Mächler patrick.maechler at pp-international.net
Thu Jul 21 18:02:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de> wrote:
> On 21.07.2011 14:57, Pat Maechler aka Valio wrote:
>> Fully agree.
>> Someone else did not a cool protest now on TPB! I completely support it! :-)
>> http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6554331/Papers_from_Philosophical_Transactions_of_the_Royal_Society__fro
>
> And how do those kids think, documents from the very past get digitized?
> For "free" by google? It is easy to "free" something you haven't had to
> put any work into. But where are the great works created by these
> "freedom" fighters?

One could argue in favor of a limited related/neighboring rights for
scanning the documents (just as you also get recording rights), but
certainly not for a new copyright on the works themselves.
However this should then apply to everyone who does such work.

BTW:  A critical note to the TPB link: Works created before 1923 are
not in the public domain in all jurisdiction for certain, but just in
the US, see
http://copyright.cornell.e​du/resources/publicdomain.​cfm
In some nations (e.g. in Europe) the principle of "70 years protection
after death of the author" has been already applied to works before
1923; so be cautious depending on where you are currently staying!

-pat