[pp.int.general] Fwd: [FC-discuss] Fwd: Urgent -- Aaron was just arrested

Sina Amoor Pour sina.amoorpour at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:03:35 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp a christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> Maybe that's the reason why the people that own the documents (not their
> content!) want money for digitilization... And if those people want
> money for the scanning, those who do I want to get this money back.

These arguments sound a lot like the arguments drug development companies
use to justify the use of patents and record companies use to justify
copyright: "We have to use this restriction/monopoly to be able to produce
this thing". They say it because it sounds altruistic and therefore easier
for the public to buy the argument. The real reason they use restrictions or
monopolies is because it is the business model that will maximize their
profit for the least amount of work.

If the archives are in the hands of public authorities then they should be
free to access for the public. If they are in the hands of private companies
or organisations we need to recognize that the payment and conditions they
require for access is because they want to make money, as lot as possible.
I'm not saying this is wrong. All (private) companies strive to maximize
their profits. I'm just saying this is the case and the restrictions they
are using are their business models (and they will of course protect their
business model as they tried to do in this case).