[pp.int.general] Fwd: [FC-discuss] Fwd: Urgent -- Aaron was just arrested

Pat Maechler aka Valio pirate at valio.ch
Sat Jul 23 09:27:22 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de> wrote:
> On 23.07.2011 00:10, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     Even in the pirate party are a couple of people who know, that
>>     digitilization of documents costs money.
>>
>> I have doubts about that claim.  Project Gutenberg has digitized many
>> books.  How much did that cost?
>
> Didn't find any figures. But according to spiegel.de they have spent
> more than 200.000 hours of work and receive money and computers from
> spiegel to get their costs covered.

BTW: Just to shed light on a probable confusion: There is the original
Project Gutenberg (PG) [1] and then there are similar projects by the
same name and allowed to use their trademark, such as Projekt
Gutenberg-DE (PGD) run by Der Spiegel [2]. While PG was aimed to be an
NPO project on a pure voluntarily founded effort similar to WIkipedia,
one could dispute about the intents of affiliated projects; PGD could
be seen as well as something inbetween marketing and CSR [3] (I'm not
saying it necessarily *is*).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projekt_Gutenberg-DE
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility