[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Germany chooses proprietary software

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Sat Jul 30 23:16:30 CEST 2011

One of the (several) reasons why we fight copyright and anti-piracy
measures/policies is because it leads to a surveilance state. For instance,
for things like the *'standardized automated processing
system<http://delimiter.com.au/2011/07/29/afact-wants-automated-bittorrent-violation-system/>'
for BitTorrent copyright infringement notices* that's been sugested by the
entertainement industry recently, some kind of surveilence entity would have
to monitor all user's bittorrent trafic, undermining our privacy in the name
of "copyright protection".

Proprietary software poses similar threats, but without the need of network
wiretapping: the spy can be installed inside our own machines in secret
software routines. There is no way to know exactly what the software does.

If pirate parties adopt proprietary software "in the name of pragmatic
aspects regardless of ideology", then it sends a political message to the
world regarding measures to guarantee users privacy and data integrity. And
also regarding user autonomy, inovation, etc (you know the reasoning
already).

Movie Studios Want Automated BitTorrent
Warnings<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/07/30/1242250/Movie-Studios-Want-Automated-BitTorrent-Warnings>

Felipe Sanches