[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Germany chooses proprietary software

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sun Jul 31 10:33:02 CEST 2011

On 31.07.2011 10:25, Sebastian Nerz wrote:
>> Maybe all the stuff that is not written down in the wiki makes the
>> software more complicated. But if we cannot write a software handling
>> our finances, how do we want to build a government for a whole country?
>
> I was under the impression that politics and writing software are two
> different sets of skills. I know some very talented programmers not
> caring about politics. And I know some talented politicians who could
> not name two programming languages yet alone write software.
> But I'm a bioinformatician earning my money programming software - I
> could live with the alternative.

Developing software and running a government is both a matter of
organization. Of course you can write software without having any social
and soft skills. But the software is very likely to be better if you
know how to organize your work, how to motivate people to go along with
your ideas.

But the decision has been done. We will spent a lot of money for a
software we cannot use freely and we will pay microsoft for an OS we do
not want our government to use.

Christian