[pp.int.general] Open letter to Anonymous (please distribute)

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Mon Jun 6 10:28:42 CEST 2011

On 06/06/2011 12:21 AM, lilo wrote:
> i wondering for the bad answers in hackerspace,  they simply write that
> the "politic  does not apply to hackers".

Sorry but this is not an accurate description of what happened on the
hackerspaces mailing list. The first reaction was that giving
instructions to anonymous or to internet at large was just wishful thinking.

I then proceeded to explain that political speech on a technical mailing
list was doomed to receive negative response. Understand that people
calling themselves hackers on this mailing list are for most of them
makers, not security experts or crypto-geeks.

Understand as well that the message signed by the CCC, l0pht and cult of
dead cow amongst others is a 1999 message urging hacktivists to not
disrupt internet infrastructure of regimes they did not like, that this
was counter-productive. The "open letter to Anonymous" did not (yet)
receive any kind of major support.

I have the feeling that in 2011, the confrontation that the 1999 message
wanted to avoid finally happened. Wikileaks censorship, mandatory DRMs,
criminalization of every trivial online act... I think many crackers
(yes that's the word we should use in theory instead of "hackers" when
referring to people who break into someone's computer, I know this is a
lost fight) considered the various censorship laws and actions that
appeared recently as a casus belli. I have the feeling that the
wikileaks DNS records affair has been the igniting spark.

These people break the laws we are trying to change. We don't have to
support them but we have to admit that they are our shadow, that we move
together not because of an agreement but because we react to the same
things. We don't obey them, they don't obey us. But we hit the same
targets : where we protest, they are attacking.

Whether or not this conflict becomes the first cyber-war that the media
rapaciously wait for or a demonstration of progress through democratic
discussion relies a lot on the actions of the pirate parties of the
world. If we can bring credible changes in the laws, the crackers will
become obsolete and useless. If we can't, we will be as useless as
diplomats in a blitzkrieg.

That may look like a dramatization, but a lot of things in the 21st
century will depend on the stance the world takes toward this
"intellectual property" mess. It is more than just about culture : it
encompasses science and technology through patents and copyrights on
designs, agriculture through property rights on crops species, and
medicine on the generic drugs issues.

Iv