[pp.int.general] Open letter to Anonymous (please distribute)

Antonio Garcia ningunotro at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:03:17 CEST 2011

These are problems we are always going to face because we believe everybody
deserves the same fair chance in life, no matter what environment he simply can
not choose to be born into, and only taking notice of what effort of those available
to him he chooses to try to make things better for all.

In a certain sense, Anonymous presents a framework where anybody, no matter
what his skill level be, can contribute in a simple way he can understand towards
changing things. Breaking unjust laws should not be a crime, just like leaking info
on crimes (Bradley Manning) should not be a crime.

Every day we can see how powerful, almost certainly guilty people, evade the
action of justice through legal tricks and tailored legislation... making formal
justice into the universal laughing stock it often is... this certainly has an effect
on those that have the aim to fight injustice, pushing some into retaliation
tactics and "catch me if you can" strategies. The intentional download of
copyright-protected works can be seen as such a retaliation strategy... easy to
perpetrate, costly to root out legally... thus we bleed the enemies resources,
and it seems they get annoyed... so it works. Contributing to DDoS strikes follows
the same pattern.

It might not be the right thing to do from an absolute ethical point of view, but
it is an effective action within the reach of many who do not know/have no
access to other alternatives within their reach to contribute towards the overall
effort of giving our opponents as hard a time as we can while we find the
ultimate effective and perfectly clean strategy to break their defense lines.

Would you refuse to be saved by a pirate after a wreckage just because with his
wooden leg, long sword and black patch over his eye he is not the kind of guy you
would give a hand if you crossed him under less pressing circumstances?

Pirates and Anonymous are temporary loose allies, at least because they both
have more urgent things to do than critisizing eachothers actions and motives.
Some of the things they do serve us well, some of the things we do serve them
well, and together, even when not mixed, we have a greater impact than each
on our own.

Of course, Anonymous makes mistakes which have effects, and so do we.

That is what being human is all about, making mistakes and learning not to
repeat them stupidly, improving action for the next wave of efforts.

And surely, we all need to improve!

NingúnOtro.