[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Mar 1 19:20:12 CET 2011

    I think it is worthwhile to have a GPL-like license for patents simply
    because software patents for now exist whether we want them to or not.
    Having a license available for those who want to use their patents as
    a force of good rather than an anti-competitive and anti-freedom
    weapon can only be a good thing.

The existence of the license can't hurt, but its chances of doing much
good are small.  Directing effort towards that could focus our
thinking in a direction that isn't fruitful.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation