[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Mar 1 19:20:13 CET 2011

    The end result is a compiler that infringes on multiple patents
    including yours while the author also has a few unique patents of
    their own.
    Let's call the numbers: 10 patents from third parties, 10 from the
    author, 1 from you

If the author is clever, or forwarned, he will set up 2 companies, one
to hold the patents and one to make the compiler.  Then the latter
company won't have any patents.  It will say, "They are all
third-party."

If getting and keeping that one patent were easy for us, I'd say "Why
not try it anyway -- there's nothing to lose, and some company might
not split itself that way and we might gain something."  However, as
someone else explained, getting and keeping the patent is very
expensive.  So there is a lot of money to lose if you want to try this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation