[pp.int.general] PPI Conference - Streaming - Open Source

Wolfgang Preiss w.preiss at gmx.de
Wed Mar 2 02:59:38 CET 2011

Dear Viewers,

after my recent discussion with Richard Stallman I feel the urge to make
a statement considering the used technology:

Although people always say "it is a flash stream" the used player on my
website is not the adobe flash player. I am using for a long time now
the longtail open source player, named "JW Player" (more information can
be found here: http://www.longtailvideo.com)

This player is fully open source, however it needs to have adobe flash
installed on your machine.

Although I am aware this will not satisfy the open source community, I
hope you understand that I will provide my services based on viewers
needs not on political pressure on open source software.

It is a fact, that there are more people out there, using windows than
open source OS, and barrier free means that information must be
available no matter what system they use.

I took me quite a deal to have my stream available on all systems
without the need to install further software, even on Linux and Apple OS
based machines, which need to work without flash.

The flash based stream (with an embedded JW Player) is an RTMP Stream -
additionally I support an RTSP Stream which can be watched with open
source players like VLC. Other Linux players have been tested successfully.

The used audio codec is ACC - the reason is, Apple OS using Quicktime
for playing the stream and also iPads do not support RTSP Streams with
MP3 audio.

Completely switching to ogg would destroy a barrier free streaming,
after most users out there cannot watch an ogg stream without the need
to install additional software, which I want to prevent.

Best Regards
Wolfgang Preiss
Pirate-streaming.net