[pp.int.general] PPI Conference - Streaming - Open Source

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Wed Mar 2 05:12:59 CET 2011

Does it work in Gnash or swfdec, the free software flash plugins?

It is apparently OK to do it the way you are doing it. But if the
browser-based player that works for almost everybody won't work in systems
that have 0% proprietary software installed (which includes not having Adobe
Flash player installed), then I think there should be at least an explicit
link near the video player that leads to a page with instructions on how to
watch the stream without having to install proprietary software (maybe the
vlc solutions you mentioned).

Even if it is nowadays a corner-case, or even if it is trivial to watch
using vlc, explicitely providing that tech info is a good political gesture
because it shows that we care about freedom (in general, but also regarding
software usage in particular in this specific case). Even better if the tech
info is followed by some political contextualization so that people can
better understand what is at stake. Believe me, lots of peope don't even
know there is an issue here.

I can help to write the text for that page if you provide me the tech info
on how to watch the stream without relying on proprietary software.

happy hacking,
Felipe Sanches