[pp.int.general] WIPO DG mentions Pirate Party in speech to Blue Sky conference

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:52:18 CET 2011

Hi Rick,
this is an internal list for PPI interessees. Most of them either know
that "intellectual property" is a misdirected term or want to learn
about it.
For my part, I know about the power of linguistics (for family reasons
[1];) so sure, the wording is important. Using words with negative
connotations ("monopoly") over words with positive ones ("property") to
speak about our opponents is important when we are talking about
_external effect_. However, when talking policy internally, I don't see
a problem using the term "intellectual property", and I'm also not going
to declare everybody using that term in a public speech a "copyright
nazi" or something like that. However, that's exactly what RMS does - he
hangs himself to criticizing words instead of ideas, and that is not
productive, at least from my viewpoint.

Best,
Boris

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Zaliznyak