[pp.int.general] WIPO DG mentions Pirate Party in speech to Blue Sky conference

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:09:13 CET 2011

On 02.03.2011 11:39, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) wrote:
> Dr. Stallman's insistence on this is very well motivated. I have
> noticed a tremendous attitude shift since I started using words that
> conveyed the right values.
>

> As long as we allow people to get with the fuzzy "intellectual
> property", we will:
>
> a) be unable to pinpoint the problems with copyrights, patents and
> other monopolies, as we need to be specific about the problems, and
> few of these problems apply across all monopoly kinds uniformly

This is downright false. All IPR is now subtituting physical PR and
acting in the economic development (GDP) and on the market as if they
were such. This goes for copyrights, patents, trademarks, database
rights, data test rights(!!!), plant variety rights, cultural heritage
rights, I may have forgotten something here so please add it to the list
if you can iamgine.

We should /not/ be separating these different forms of (currently)
property rights because they show a false market, false economic growth
based on false or insecurely determined values that are currently only
functioning as major enterprise safe-guards (yes, ALL of the above, not
just Universal) if they are collected en masse (imagine big portfolios
of papers determining which rights effectively can be assumed or
determined to BELONG TO YOU, just like physical property). they all work
under licensing agreements, which is something we're increasingly seeing
with hardware (laptops, consoles, cars, ...) as well.

We should be talking about the problems with licensing (that is, "fake
selling") or the problems with basing GDP growth on fiction (the only
problem is that we probably don't /have/ enough property in the world to
create constant growth so we 'd have to abandon the idea of non-economic
policies :) but we'd have a policy that /works/ and would be consistent
with reality rather than one that that makes less insightful people
believe that we can change the market in a way that the market is
actually not able to be changed into).

this is my problem with Stallman, and all people who choose to make the
same division he do es. I simply do not see any connection to have stuff
actually are working in the IPR industries and a painful and also naïve
misconception that we're living pre-NAFTA (1991).

/amelia