[pp.int.general] WIPO DG mentions Pirate Party in speech to Blue Sky conference

Mikulas.Ferjencik Mikulas.Ferjencik at seznam.cz
Wed Mar 2 14:57:18 CET 2011

I am afraid we might restart one of the debates discussed earlier on this list, however I consider this post important to respond to.

The words we use to discuss things influence the debate itself, so I would not underestimate this effect.

It is way easier to explain that Intelectual Property does not exist, rather then attempting to explain what we want to do with it.

regards

Mikulas PPCZ

 Hi Rick,
 this is an internal list for PPI interessees. Most of them either know
 that "intellectual property" is a misdirected term or want to learn
 about it.
 For my part, I know about the power of linguistics (for family reasons
 [1] so sure, the wording is important. Using words with negative
 connotations ("monopoly") over words with positive ones ("property") to
 speak about our opponents is important when we are talking about
 _external effect_. However, when talking policy internally, I don't see
 a problem using the term "intellectual property", and I'm also not going
 to declare everybody using that term in a public speech a "copyright
 nazi" or something like that. However, that's exactly what RMS does - he
 hangs himself to criticizing words instead of ideas, and that is not
 productive, at least from my viewpoint.

 Best,
 Boris