[pp.int.general] Plagiarism is bad because it infringes copyright????

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Mar 4 01:16:55 CET 2011

    > She claims that each of a dozen unrelated laws is a "higher good" that
    > ustifies trampling most people's freedom and interests.

    It is. It is called GDP.

With all due respect, that is not what she said.  She did not say
"economic growth is a higher good" or "maximizing GDP is a higher
good".  Nor did she argue that each of these dozen laws is justified
because it increases the GDP.  (It is not clear they DO increase the
GDP.)

Instead, she claimed all those considerations are irrelevant because
"intellectual property is a higher good".  By saying this, she claimed
it is irrelevant whether copyright respects our freedom, or even
whether copyright increases the GDP.  Rather, it is a "higher good"
which could justify trampling our freedom and a reduction in GDP.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation