[pp.int.general] Plagiarism is bad because it infringes copyright????

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick.falkvinge at piratpartiet.se
Sat Mar 5 19:11:21 CET 2011

> Exactly.  Plagiarism has nothing to do with copyright.
> Plagiarism is a kind of lie, and that is what makes it bad.

Hmm, I would have to disagree on this point. While the moral rights are
relatively weak in the US, the copyright monopoly umbrella does
explicitly contain the right to be associated with one's work.
Plagiarism would violate this.

There are four major kinds of copyright;

1) the commercial monopoly over fixations to a work and its duplication;
2) the commercial monopoly over performances of a work;
3) the droit moral to be named as creator of a work;
4) the droit moral to deny performances that does not do the work
justice (in the creator's eyes).

The droits morals differ from the commercial monopolies in that they can
not be transferred. For more details, see
http://falkvinge.net/2011/02/14/history-of-copyright-part-5-moral-rights/

Therefore, plagiarism is an infringement of the droit moral from the
continental tradition of copyright, included through the Berne
Convention in 1886.

The copyright lobby loves this, by the way. They love confusing the four
different parts of the copyright monopoly (which, nota bene, have more
differences than similarities). When somebody criticizes the ban on
copying, they respond by asking if they would love their work
plagiarized, and pretend it's one and the same.

Whenever this happens, call them on it.