[pp.int.general] Florida Becomes The Second State To Become An Official Party!

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:14:30 CEST 2011

On 3/29/2011 11:45 AM, Jay Emerson wrote:
> Yeah, each state has different election laws and such so some states are
> easier than others.  NY I think may be the most difficult but the Greens
> here are walking us through.  They had a hell of a time trying to get
> recognized themselves.

15,000 signatures, at least 100 signatures must come from each of 16
congressional districts. [§ 6-136 (1)]

A signature made earlier than thirty-seven days before the last day to
file designating petitions for the primary election shall not be
counted. [§ 6-134 (4)]

With a population of 19.3M, that's not so hard in relative terms of
population.

> Oklahoma is equally as difficult from what I've seen.

Arkansas has 1/7th the population (2.8M), and needs 10k in 90 days.

Oklahoma needs 45,000 (down from 77,000 last year) from a population of
3.8M This is why it's the ONLY state in the Union to have only two
recognized political parties for an extended period of recent time.

Virginia, with a population of 8M, needs 10k, and at least 400 from each
district.

Georgia (my state) about 28,000 from a 9Mil population, collected in the
first half of the election year only.

In terms of raw figures, New York is actually one of the easier states
to do things in. Note 'easier', it's certainly not 'easy'.

Of course, two of the absolute easiest have been done now (not
denigrating them, just saying, factually) with Massachusetts needing
only 50 people (iirc), while Florida has as one of it's requirements
'that another state recognise the party'. Conneticut needs 25 people to
form a party,

Here's a good PDF, if a little out-of-date (from 2003) of ballot access
laws by state. http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/5646.pdf

> Jay Emerson
> Administrative Officer
> Pirate Party of New York