[pp.int.general] Florida Becomes The Second State To Become An Official Party!

Ryan Moffitt ryan.m.moffitt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:47:58 CEST 2011

Registering here in Florida was quite easy (note the sheer number of
political parties
here<http://election.dos.state.fl.us/candidate/parties.shtml>).
It's something of a joke in some circles how easy it is to get on the ballot
here. All we needed was a constitution, a logo and two officers. They only
hurdles were they lost the original papers and I sent in new ones that were
rejected because there were clarification issues.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:14, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/29/2011 11:45 AM, Jay Emerson wrote:
> > Yeah, each state has different election laws and such so some states are
> > easier than others.  NY I think may be the most difficult but the Greens
> > here are walking us through.  They had a hell of a time trying to get
> > recognized themselves.
>
> 15,000 signatures, at least 100 signatures must come from each of 16
> congressional districts. [§ 6-136 (1)]
>
> A signature made earlier than thirty-seven days before the last day to
> file designating petitions for the primary election shall not be
> counted. [§ 6-134 (4)]
>
> With a population of 19.3M, that's not so hard in relative terms of
> population.
> >
> > Oklahoma is equally as difficult from what I've seen.
> >
> Arkansas has 1/7th the population (2.8M), and needs 10k in 90 days.
>
> Oklahoma needs 45,000 (down from 77,000 last year) from a population of
> 3.8M This is why it's the ONLY state in the Union to have only two
> recognized political parties for an extended period of recent time.
>
> Virginia, with a population of 8M, needs 10k, and at least 400 from each
> district.
>
> Georgia (my state) about 28,000 from a 9Mil population, collected in the
> first half of the election year only.
>
> In terms of raw figures, New York is actually one of the easier states
> to do things in. Note 'easier', it's certainly not 'easy'.
>
> Of course, two of the absolute easiest have been done now (not
> denigrating them, just saying, factually) with Massachusetts needing
> only 50 people (iirc), while Florida has as one of it's requirements
> 'that another state recognise the party'. Conneticut needs 25 people to
> form a party,
>
> Here's a good PDF, if a little out-of-date (from 2003) of ballot access
> laws by state.
> http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/5646.pdf
>

> > Jay Emerson
> > Administrative Officer