[pp.int.general] AKvorrat and mobilitation

lilo al3lilo at autistici.org
Tue May 24 19:33:36 CEST 2011

FYI, from e-privacy mailing list:

last week, EU governments debated the revision of the data retention
directive in Council. There was no agreement on whether blanket
telecommunications data retention is necessary (as claimed by
Britain, Denmark, France, Poland and Spain) or whether "quick freeze"
should be seriously examined and discussed as an alternative (as was
advanced by Austria only).

The Commission has presented the following time schedule:
- 8 June 2011: Commission meeting with civil society representatives
- 17 June 2011: Commission meeting with industry representatives
- 22 June 2011: Commission meeting with representatives of national
DPAs and the EDPS
- 30 June 2011: Commission meeting with representatives to be named
by Member States
- Summer: Impact Assessment
- By the end of 2011: Commission proposal to amend the data retention
directive

In order to influence the process we need a lot of supporters now
for our call to repeal the EU requirements regarding data retention
in favour of a system of expedited preservation and targeted
collection of traffic data.

This is how you can help:

1) Participate in the civil society workshop on 8 June 2011 by
contacting Christian D'Cunha, Christian.D'CUNHA at ec.europa.eu

2) Contact other national NGOs and civil society organisations (e.g.
journalists, lawyers, helplines), provide them with our shadow
evaluation reports*, invite them to participate in the civil society
workshop on 8 June 2011 and to advocate abolishing blanket data
retention,

3) Contact your national telecommunications and ISP associations,
provide them with our shadow evaluation reports*, invite them to
participate in the industry workshop on 17 June 2011 and to advocate
abolishing blanket data retention,

4) Contact your national data protection authority, provide them
with our shadow evaluation reports*, invite them to participate in
the DPA workshop on 22 June 2011 and to advocate abolishing blanket
data retention,

5) Contact national government officials, provide them with our
shadow evaluation reports*, invite them to participate in the Member
States workshop on 30 June 2011 and to advocate abolishing blanket
data retention. I particularly recommend you to motivate Justice
officials to attend rather than Home affairs officials only.

Please use your contacts to help our cause at this stage. Do not
hesitate to contact me for any questions.

Best regards,
Patrick Breyer

*Our shadow evaluation reports:

EDRi shadow evaluation report including conclusions
http://www.edri.org/files/shadow_drd_report_110417.pdf

AK Vorrat backgrounder including executive summary
http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/images/akvorrat_evaluation_backgrounder_2011-04-17.pdf

and PPI?  cmon Pirates! #netrevolution

cheers, lilo

--