[pp.int.general] G8 vs INTERNET

lilo al3lilo at autistici.org
Tue May 24 19:36:00 CEST 2011

On 24/05/2011 15:53, David Arcos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did you know about this?
>
> http://g8internet.com/
>
>> *The Internet is the place where we meet, speak, create, educate ourselves
> and organize. However, as we are at a turning point in early web history, it
> could either become a prime tool for improving our societies, knowledge and
> culture, or a totalitarian tool of suveillance and control.*
>

> http://g8internet.com/who-are-we/
>
> Should PPI get involved?

================
G8 Governments Urged to Embrace Multistakeholder Approach to Internet Issues
Consultations should include organizations key to the Internet's success
as a platform for global economic growth and social progress
PARIS - 23 May 2011 - In advance of the upcoming meeting of the G8
governments,
a worldwide coalition of Internet organizations, including the Number
Resource
Organization, the Internet Society, the Internet Society France Chapter,
ICANN,
and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), today stated that they would
welcome
the opportunity to provide input to discussions on Internet-related
issues. The
perspectives of organizations at the heart of the development,
management and
operation of the global Internet are essential for informed policy making.

The same organizations currently provide valuable expertise, input and
experience for other intergovernmental forums, including through the OECD's
Internet Technical Advisory Committee (ITAC). The organizations also
recalled
the commitment made by governments during the World Summit on the
Information
Society (WSIS) at the Heads of State level to engage in multistakeholder
cooperation, and expressed their hope that future G8 meetings on the
Internet
will be prepared in the spirit of the WSIS Tunis Agenda-through an open and
inclusive process, and with the participation of all stakeholders.
Raúl Echeberría, Chair of the Number Resource Organization (NRO) - comprised
of the world's five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) - commented,
"With the
exhaustion of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority's (IANA) pool of
available
IPv4 addresses in February 2011, it is now more vital than ever that the G8
governments and all other stakeholders prioritize the deployment of IPv6 to
ensure the continued growth and development of the Internet. To increase
industry awareness, governments should insist that all Internet-related
products
and services that they purchase, including hardware, software, connectivity,
consulting and training services, are IPv6 ready."
Lynn St.Amour, President and CEO of the Internet Society (ISOC) said,
"Policies
that support the continued development of an open Internet are best
developed
through open and inclusive processes. This has been crucial to the global
Internet's growth and evolution as a platform for economic development and
innovation. With the aim of strengthening their policy discussions, we
strongly
encourage G8 governments to include input from all stakeholders."

"As they gather this week in France, we encourage the G8 governments to
seek the
widest possible application of the multistakeholder approach to their
discussions, in accord with the commitments previously made by the
governments
during the WSIS," Gérard Dantec, President of the Internet Society France
Chapter. "Just as the Internet Society and Internet Society Chapters are
strengthened by participation by civil society, the technical community and
others, broad engagement improves discussions around, and approaches to
addressing, Internet issues."
"Nothing validates the multistakeholder model more than the on-going
successful
global expansion and vital importance of the Internet," said Rod Beckstrom,
President and Chief Executive Officer of the Internet Corporation for
Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN). "The model can best be summed up by one word -
inclusion. Voices from every corner of the globe - from global
governments to
private sector interests to individual Internet users - must all be heard."
"W3C's collaborative and multi-stakeholder approach to creating an
enhanced Open
Web Platform is stimulating even more industries to choose the web as the
platform of choice for the delivery of services and the development of rich
applications - such as the mobile, television, publishing, and advertising
industries." said Dr. Jeff Jaffe, W3C CEO. "Web standards continue to ensure
innovation and economic opportunities for businesses and consumers."
A multistakeholder approach has helped to encourage the global Internet's
tremendous growth and is key to its continued development as a platform for
innovation and economic progress in the developed and developing world.
Without
the full involvement of the organizations charged with the development,
management and operation of the Internet, the future stability, growth and
development of the Internet could be compromised. The same approach has
proven
to be the most effective when it comes to Internet policy development.
Organizations representing civil society can also provide crucial
guidance about
to ensure the Internet supports social progress.

The 'Internet Ecosystem' of organizations and communities that guide the
operation and development of the technologies and infrastructure that
comprise
the global Internet are currently leading the way on the deployment of
technologies that will ensure the Internet continues to be a platform for
innovation, economic development and social progress. These technologies
include
DNSSEC, which provides shrink-wrap packaging for domain names to ensure
Internet
users reach their intended destination, IPv6, the next generation of
Internet
protocol that provides enough new Internet addresses to ensure the 4 billion
people yet to come online are able to fully participate in the global
Internet,
and HTML5, which defines the fifth major revision of the core language
of the
World Wide Web.
About ICANN
ICANN's mission is to ensure a stable, secure and unified global
Internet. To
reach another person on the Internet you have to type an address into your
computer - a name or a number. That address has to be unique so
computers know
where to find each other. ICANN coordinates these unique identifiers
across the
world. Without that coordination we wouldn't have one global Internet.
ICANN was
formed in 1998. It is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with
participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet
secure,
stable and interoperable. It promotes competition and develops policy on the
Internet's unique identifiers. ICANN doesn't control content on the
Internet. It
cannot stop spam and it doesn't deal with access to the Internet. But
through
its coordination role of the Internet's naming system, it does have an
important
impact on the expansion and evolution of the Internet. For more information
please visit: www.icann.org.
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is the world's trusted independent source of
leadership for
Internet policy, technology standards and future development. Based on its
principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet
Society
works with its members and Chapters around the world to promote the
continued
evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialogue among companies,
governments, and other organisations around the world.
About the Number Resource Organization (NRO)
The Number Resource Organization (NRO) is the coordinating body for the five
Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) - AfriNIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and
the RIPE
NCC - that manage the distribution of Internet number resources,
including IPv4
and IPv6 addresses and Autonomous System (AS) Numbers. Each RIR consists
of the
Internet community in its own region.
The NRO exists to protect the unallocated Number Resource pool, to
promote and
protect the bottom-up policy development process, and to act as a focal
point
for Internet community input into the RIR system.
About the World Wide Web Consortium
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an international consortium where
Member
organizations, a full-time staff, and the public work together to
develop Web
standards. W3C primarily pursues its mission through the creation of Web
standards and guidelines designed to ensure long-term growth for the
Web. Over
325 organizations are Members of the Consortium. W3C is jointly run by
the MIT
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (MIT CSAIL) in
the USA,
the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM)
headquartered in France and Keio University in Japan, and has additional
Offices
worldwide. For more information see http://www.w3.org
Contacts
ICANN
Brad White
brad.white at icann.org
+1 202 570 7118
Internet Society
Greg Wood
wood at isoc.org
+1-703-625-3917
NRO:
Lucie Smith, Racepoint Group UK
lucie.smith at racepointgroup.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 208 811 2142
W3C
Contact Americas, Australia
Ian Jacobs, ij at w3.org, +1.718.260.9447
Contact Europe, Africa and the Middle East
Marie-Claire Forgue, mcf at w3.org, +33 6 76 86 33 41

--
~lilo~
hacktivist @ partito-pirata.it