[pp.int.general] Spam on the wiki

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:07:04 CEST 2011

Re "tihis would contradict the whole idea of a wiki" -- not really,
once a user has been approved (s)he can freely edit all pages for
which (s)he has been granted edit rights.

I have managed many large wikis and, even though we always started
with open access, we always had to introduce access control to keep
spam out at some point. I think a wiki is defined by collaborative
editing features more than by open access policy.

As soon as a wiki is listed in the databases of spammers, you start
getting tens of spam edits _per hour_ -- no way to keep spam out with
one or two volunteer admins.