[pp.int.general] Spam on the wiki

gregory.engels at piratenpartei-hessen.de gregory.engels at piratenpartei-hessen.de
Fri May 27 13:45:57 CEST 2011

On Fri, 27 May 2011 13:07:04 +0200, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As soon as a wiki is listed in the databases of spammers, you start
> getting tens of spam edits _per hour_ -- no way to keep spam out with
> one or two volunteer admins.

Well, we do not see such level of spam on the german pirate wiki,
and it has over 100k pages in it by now and over one million edits.

The reason we suspect for this is, that it uses a non-standard skin,
something that is confusing the spambots. We are looking into this,
and are about to change the host configuration in the near future...

For what you are suggesting - put new users on an aproval queue -
how should this work? What criteria / workflow to use for approval
process? A mailinglist?

brgds, Gregory