[pp.int.general] Fwd: Big pharma should combat bee decline, MEPs say

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 22:23:28 CET 2011

commercial background:

The EU is the world's third largest producer of honey (through
beekeeping), and domestic production accounts for approx 50% of its
domestic consumption.[1] So this is a quite important industry we're
talking about for Europe, and the European food industry (we consume,
and produce a lot of it).

The pharmaceutical industry is already offered incentives for the
development of new medicinal products through patents. The only thing
that I can think of that isn't the same for medicinal products for
animals and for humans is the patenting of second indications for
certain drugs.

I would assume it has more to do with tax cuts or so, although I can
imagine research money from the Commission being put into this field as
well, in so called "public-private partnerships" the revenues of which
may well end up in IP rights. In Europe, drugs for both humans and
animals - especially animals used to produce stuff that is to be
consumed by humans - are subject to very extensive clinical tests. One
can imagine that slightly laxer testing methods would be an incentive.

[1] http://www.uco.es/dptos/zoologia/Apicultura/euroapi_botton.htm