[pp.int.general] Liquid democracy information?

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Mon Nov 28 13:12:07 CET 2011

It's not just about Liquid Democracy.. proxy voting is in practice
a rather secondary feature. It is more important to have a good
workflow. LQFB was designed specifically for good legislative action
and mostly everyone in Berlin agrees it was essential for our success.
So if you need an application to seriously get moving, I'd recommend to
take what is known to work. I wrote up a page about it on

	http://int.piratenpartei.de/Liquid_Feedback

I know the complexity isn't fun getting into, but it is necessary.

I also looked into Agora.. I find the mathematics behind it quite amazing
and I love its approach to delegate voting.. I had thought about it in
similar ways - it's great to see these ideas are actually viable.

One detail I didn't understand.. what if the receiving server of voter's
signed votes simply drops some votes because they are coming from a
communist IP range (some part of town where the ruling government expects
unwelcome votes from for example). I understand voting is safe and anonymous
once it is published properly, but what if the publishing process is disturbed?

Since Agora is aimed at secret YES/NO/MAYBE;) votes it clearly has a different
purpose than LQFB which is suited for open collaborative consensus finding.
I wonder if the brilliant logic of liquid feedback could be applied to
Agora in order to open up Agora to authoring and other purposes...
That would be awesome.

Having many liquid platforms in parallel leads us to a similar problem
we already experience with social networks: On each platform users need to
reconnect to the people they like to delegate to over and over.  :-D
Maybe we can alleviate this by making multi-voting clients or have platforms
extract delegational graphs using the LQFB API.

Greetings,

 psyc://psyced.org/~lynX - http://my.pages.de - xmpp:lynX at psyced.org
 irc://psyced.org/piraten - https://psyced.org/PSYC/?room=piraten