[pp.int.general] 15th Octobre -> Occupy Together

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Sun Oct 9 15:27:15 CEST 2011

On 10/09/2011 05:09 AM, Ryan Moffitt wrote:
> To make change, you have to be the change, and to be
> the change, you have to have power.

The problem with revolutionary movements is that most of the time they
are not constructive. When citizens gather only against something (a
despotic leader, a corrupted government, etc.) it is a destructive
approach. A despot leaving does not necessarily leads to democracy.

The Pirate Party movement has a constructive approach. We denounce
abuses and problems, but we must also and mainly propose solutions.

At the last PPI GA, I tried to animate a group about economic
transparency (despite being poorly aware of economic matters myself). I
would like the Pirate movement to propose some basic ideas nobody else
strongly defend.

Examples of what we could propose :
- states and only them should be able to "create" money (in the sense of
lending money they do not actually have), with strict limitations ;
- bank activities shall be split into deposits, loans, and business ;
- long-term investments shall be indexed in real value, not depend on a
currency ;
- stock market shall be limited to one quotation per day ;
- automatic programs (reacting to change in stock prices) shall be
forbidden ;
- currency exchange rates shall be fixed (possibly revised from time to
time) instead of fluctuating ;
- banks should not speculate on themselves.

Theses are examples, maybe good or bad. Whatever, I think the Pirate
Party movement shall study economic abuses, and propose solutions to fix
it like we did for copyright or patents.

We are not here only to protest. Our responsibility is to also propose
solutions to what we condemn, and to bring them to the polls.