[pp.int.general] (no subject)

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Aug 13 16:09:41 CEST 2012

On Aug 12, 2012, "Cal." <peppecal at gmail.com> wrote:

> sugar is renewable, good; also contains carbon, bad.

I've read and heard the latter claim before, but it doesn't make sense
to me.

AFAIK every atom of carbon emitted to the atmosphere when sugar cane
fuel is burnt was captured from atmospheric CO_2 by photosynthesis
(along with ground water) while the plan grew (I don't know of other
sources of carbon used by plants).  If this is correct, then full
combustion (down to CO_2 and water) of this sort of fuel can't have a
negative impact on the level of carbon in the atmosphere.

So, is the assumption incorrect (where?) or is the conclusion correct?