[pp.int.general] No Bonus for More Patents (Berne declaration, Eklärung von Bern)

Thomas Bruderer thomas.bruderer at piratenpartei.ch
Wed Dec 5 11:56:02 CET 2012

The Berne declaration asked us to help to distribute this call
internationally, hope it is of interest to you all.

Please redistribute this call to companies or NGOs in your country which
could support this call.

Regards,
Thomas, PP-CH

Dear Colleagues

The president of the European Patent Office (EPO) proposed a EUR 4,000
bonus payout to each EPO staff person basedon 31% of the EUR 89.2
million excess in operating result of the EPO in 2011.

*We believe that such a bonus is an adverse incentive. If more patent
fees result in a higher salary there is certainly a conflict of interest
for the employees of the EPO.*And the EPO should not generate any
surplus anyway.

  The proposal was already endorsed by the EPO's Budget and Finance
Committee, where six states voted against and two abstained. The final
decision on bonus payment will be taken by the 38 member states in the
Administrative Council and requires a majority of three quarters of the
votes (=28,5 states). Presumably, thevote will be very close. Each
country can make the difference.

  We therefore intend to send a letter to all delegates at the
Administrative Council (attached).

  We are now looking for signatories for the sign-on letter from the 38
Member Countries of the EPO.

*Please send your sign-on  (name/organisation/country) to François
Meienberg, Berne Declaration (food at evb.ch <mailto:food at evb.ch>) _till
December 6^th , 2pm_ (Central European Time) . *

Please get in touch with me, if you have any question in this regard.

  Best

François Meienberg

Ps: See following Article for more
information:http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/11/13/proposal-for-epo-staff-bonus-raises-questions/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts