[pp.int.general] PPI GA 2013 - Call for Hosts

Gregory Engels gregory.engels at pp-international.net
Fri Dec 7 16:05:45 CET 2012

On 05.12.2012, at 11:23, Thomas Bruderer wrote:

> We have some concerns:
>
> 1.) Financing: There needs to be a risk management. What happens if nobody comes to the GA and everything is organized? On the other hand the current discussion about the last GA doesn't sound very promising even if you make some gain from it.

Some risk will never go away. PPI Board is in the process of acquiring sponsoring promises and contracts from Pirate Parties and third parties that would allow us to reimburse of some parts of travel for the delegates from less developed countries. In case nobody would come to the GA this money could also be used to reimburse the expenses of the organizers. However, as you already pointed out, the revenue out of the last two GAs has exceeded initial expectations. We also try to learn from past mistakes and make sure that this time some aspects of organization of the conference will get more attention.

> 2.) Time for planning: this time the Call for Hosts is coming even later than last year. The time for planning such an event would be very tight especially if the competences are not really clear. The Call for host for 2014 should start immediately after the new board is organized, of course it is possible to do in a rush. But this involves High Risks. What if no adequate Host can be found?

Yes, It was planned to publish the initial Call for Hosts in June. However due to various reasons (still unfinished financial report from the last organizers, trouble of regaining access to PPI's Bank account, failure in securing some promised funds, and other reasons) it was published just now. We plan to publish the 2014 Call for Hosts just as we announce the winner of the 2013 Conference. So expect it in early January. As for three weeks offering time - it might be tough, but it is entirely doable to submit a solid offer within this time-frame. Most people who are unable to compile an offer within 3 weeks would fail to do so in 6 weeks also. We on our hand also promise to decide very quickly.

sincerely yours,

Gregory Engels
Co-Chairman
Pirate Parties International