[pp.int.general] Artificial meat

Daniel Riaño danielrr2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:48:00 CET 2012

2012/2/24 Marko Mitrovic <archamond at gmail.com>

> Marco Confalonieri is right. GMO ain't gonna help starving countries. Ever.
> It is there just to increase productivity. Artificial market
> distortions are the real problem.

I don't deny artificial market distortions, but at some point billions of
Chinese people will start demanding meat at levels closer to the ones in
European or north American markets. And there's no market distortions to
amend that can fill that gap.

> I've never been to US of A, but I hear from lot of people who went
> there that all the food, especially vegetables there taste the same.
> They look like they're out of photoshop but taste is simply
> incomparable with organic food back home. If that's the future of
> nutrition where we are going, I'd rather buy myself small property on
> countryside, two cows, few pigs and chickens and live proper life with
> nice food.

Sounds nice, I don't deny it. But simply put there's no space over the face
of the Earth for everybody's going to live the fine rural life, and rural
life is far more contaminant and energy inefficient that livin' the city
life.