[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Choms choms at botmania.net
Sat Jan 7 13:49:13 CET 2012

On Jan 7, 2012 12:01 PM, "Jerry Weyer" <jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Please explain me how can residence be enough to verify a signature.
>> Moreover, please tell me how do you plan to verify that residence. If
>> specifying residence was enought, then someone from Abu Dhabi could
>> set the residence field to "France" and then sign. Then do it again,
>> and again, until 1 million signatures is reached, for example.
>

> Luxembourgish municipalities have residence lists, so if you have the
name and the address of a person you can check whether a) they exists and
b) they live where they claim to live. I think most countries have some
kind of similar databases.

In Spain we have a kind of list like that, the problem is most people is
not living where they are listed. For example I'm from Tenerife and
circumscribed on my parents house, but I'm actually living on Madrid, so if
someone ask me I will give my Madrid's address, which you cannot verify.

>> Providing ID number as others suggested doesn't exactly provide much
>> more safeguard than that, either. It allows at least for the people
>> appearing in that list to be able to say "hey, I did not sign that!",
>> but then again they have no proof: they could be lying. Using
>> something like electronic identity card signatures (like electronic
>> DNI in Spain) together with a server-side signature and timestamping
>> would provide non-repudiation from both sides, the signers of the
>> petitions and the administration when showing that somebody really
>> signed a petition.
>

> No procedure is 100% secure, you have to find a balance between making it
easy to sign, data protection and verification possibilities. Currently 9
EU countries do not provide for ID number for ECIs, f.ex. Germany or
Belgium or the UK. In some countries data protection law even restricts the
group of people who are allowed to store and collect ID numbers, especially
online, which makes the collection of signatures very difficult.

> Forging signatures is punishable by current regulations. And every
collector of signatures for every petition knows: you always collect more
than you need because there will always be signatures that can't be
verified.